Old 08-29-22, 10:41 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Just to reinforce in part what hokiefyd says, a few points.

Most modern flat-bar road bikes -- which appears to be what you are looking to buy or create (conversion) -- of decent quality are going to be well under 25 lbs or so in weight. The Fastroad is a good example. Some are much lighter than that.

Assuming your spouse likes the fit, going the stock route is going to be much more cost effective than converting a road bike -- if cost matters. Also, geometry will be optimized for flat bars.

I'd look hard at the offerings by Trek (FX series), Giant (Fastroad), and Canyon (Roadlite https://www.canyon.com/en-us/hybrid-...ikes/roadlite/), if it were me. The latter especially sound like they might be precisely what you are looking for, but all three make excellent flat-bar road bikes.

Specialized, unfortunately, currently appears to have shrunk the Sirrus range (what I ride; I'm on my second), but I've attached a pic of mine (now down to 19.5 lbs with a few further replacement bits) just for interest. I'm a 'flat bar road-bike' guy; have been for years.
I think you've convinced me to look at the current offerings for hybrids rather than a conversion - your bike looks nice , hers was roughly 15 years old and a tank - my (our) goal is for her to enjoy biking again .