Old 03-16-23, 01:00 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
disagree. every scooter or ebike rider is likely a car off the road. (those people were unlikely to be walking - maybe in transit rich areas they'd be on a bus or train). although i'm sure it's happened, and some may have personal anecdotes of mortal danger, i have yet to hear of a cyclist killed or seriously injured by an e-bike, or e-scooter. the same can sadly not be said for vehicles, which have indeed gotten much bigger, heavier, faster, and probably less safe for everyone except their occupant.
It's only going to be a matter of time and will get worse. Over here, e-scooters, e-bikes and e-monowheel things are proliferating. They are getting cheaper and becoming the next must have item. Also petrol/gas costs will drive more sales. We are supposed to have a 25 km/h limit on these devices sold here but it is clear they can be easily modified ( perhaps by simply buying a "chip " ? ) to go much faster. We have one fellow around here who dresses in full leathers including motorcycle helmet and rides a monowheel at speeds I'm estimating around double the legal limit. There is no law enforcement of these things on the cycle paths ( so far ). It will take a fatality before anything is done, as per usual practice.

I am at least glad I invested in a Garmin radar. Now these e-things no longer sneak up behind me unannounced.