Old 01-27-12, 07:56 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by ronp6
The 3000 and 3100 were hand built bikes made by the people who built the NJS Pro racing bikes. The RB1 was built like other Bridgestones. Gomango, that probably explains the liveliness you remember from the GV compared to the RB1.

Sorry about not posting the pictures yet but I will. I also baught a NOS GV 2000, a NOS 1985 MB1 and a NOS Grand Velo frame along with some 1981-1983 Sirius so I will post some pictures next week for your viewing enjoyment once I clean them up. I have been very busy all week just staring at them.

What I have found out is that Grand Velo was treated as a separate group who hand built mostly professional racer's bikes. The same group still make 45% of the professional racer's bikes in Japan but now labeled Bridgestone but they don't export. They were sold with a Bridgestone headbadge but not bridgestone decals until decided to market them in the US in 1984. That is cooincicently when Grant started at Bridgestone. If anyone has more information I'd like to hear it as information on these is scarce.
A local shop in Minneapolis carried Grand Velos from 1986 through 1988 when they sold out of their remaining inventory.

Take that back. They had a smaller 3100 hanging on the wall for a couple of years.

If the snow we received today melts early enough, I'll ride over there tomorrow.

See if I can drum up any additional info on Grand Velos. They carried XO-1s as well, and that was where mine came from originally.

BTW What size is the GV frame, which model, and will it be offered at some point?

And finally, congratulations. I like all of the models you picked up. My youngest son sold his super nice MB-1 last fall for a silly amount of money.

In fact, a friend has a MB-0 hanging in his garage that has been tempting me for the last decade.

I am highly intrigued by this pearl orange model of yours.

I think I paid about $500 for the 3000 back in the day.

Might be off on that though.

Any chance of a sneak peek?

Last edited by gomango; 01-27-12 at 08:22 PM.