Thread: Tricycle
View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 07:45 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The reference to the term "granny trike" was in memory of a good friend,now deceased. We corresponded from a long distance and he called my tadpole recumbent trike a "dork trike" and I called his utility trike a "granny trike". I was all in good fun. The typical adult trike has at the most 3 speeds and tends to be much heavier than a good quality recumbent trike. I occasionally see one here in Las Vegas mostly used for short trip shopping excursions. I had the chance to meet my friend some years ago at a recumbent bike rally in Wisconsin. He had MS and was about to retire to Florida. Unfortunately a drunk driver in Florida took his life a few months after he moved there from Wisconsin. He was riding a recumbent trike at the time. You don't have to be old to ride either one so it is not a case of ageism. Recumbent trikes are quite expensive compared to the regular adult trike.

I would still go to the recumbent section and post your question there. Some recumbent trikes use drum brakes. Do you know what brand of brakes is used on your trike? That would help someone who may answer your question. None of my three trikes had drum brakes so I can't really give you much help. You could also try the Bicycle Mechanics subforum.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 05-08-20 at 07:51 AM.