canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
The bike I got has all original parts (Ultegra shifters, Bontrager cranks) and it would be a shame to mix in different makes...
I wouldn't worry about maintaining factory spec unless it was a collectible groupset. I'd rather set up the bike to suit me than to match OEM specs.

As I mentioned about my '93 Trek 5900 OCLV, it's a mish-mash of top shelf components from various manufacturers: some Dura Ace, some Dia Compe, and titanium bits from Chris King, White Industries, American Classic and Ibis. Trek could easily have specced the entire frame with all Dura Ace, but instead they went for the lightest available components regardless of maker or cost. In retrospect an all-Dura Ace bike might have been considered more collectible. But in terms of making a high end road bike for serious mountain stages, they took the smart choice by going for the lightest bits and bobs available.

It's the sort of thing you'd see nowadays only on bikes custom built for short, steep hill climbs, like the British hill climbing competitions in autumn, Everesting, chasing KOMs (actual mountains, not KOMs on flat terrain, downhills and that 100 yard segment between city stoplights), etc.