Old 11-18-18, 11:18 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

Everything has to be exciting nowadays. It is a constant need to be bombarded with stimulus. Kids can't sit still in a car for 20 minutes without DVD's playing. People can't go 15 minutes without headphones. Nobody can sit still and silence scares the crap out of people.

Not trying to turn this into a philosophical or psychological thread but I wonder if just changing expectation is the answer. We can climb mountains until our legs scream but we don't have enough mental stamina to sit on a trainer for 90 minutes?

It is going to be boring. So what? @cccorlew has the right idea. Lower your expectations, put your head down and do it.
I disagree. There is no reason why indoor training sessions have to be a mindnumbing slugfest. Anything that makes indoor training fun and interesting is a worthwhile thing. Before the advent of Zwift my indoor sessions were no more than 30 minutes. With Zwift I can last a lot longer.

Not everyone is into Zwift, some watch movies, some listen to music. Whatever you do to keep coming back to the trainer is a good thing.

I can climb all day long, even when my legs scream out in pain, because my senses are engaged; the sights, sounds and sensations of an outdoor ride propel me forward. Not so much with an indoor trainer.