View Single Post
Old 09-14-21, 12:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,839 Posts
Videos? Yeah, for sure, if you saw it on TV or on the Internet it must be true ......

More seriously, if you saw a video of racing, those guys don't carry tools, they carry trains of cars carrying tools, wheels, mechanics, and spare bikes. If you saw a "How to" or "Look a this ride" video, the rider had a film crew, with cars, spares, etc .... otherwise a flat could have ruined the shoot.

Pretty much every time I get a bike off the rack I bounce it a little to see what rattles, and press the tubes with a thumb or finger. If I have ridden it the day before, that it all, as a rule. If it has been on the rack for some time I do a safety routine---squeeze the brakes, bounce front, rear, and whole bike, shake the bars, shake the cranks, maybe wobble the wheels, and squeeze the tires. I don't tend to lose enough air overnight to have to add any every day ... not sure I could tell 93 psi from 95 psi.

Since I don't have a support staff, I carry tubes, tools, food, pump, anything which might help me get home in about 95% of situations. I have had to walk home a few times, but surprisingly few .... and since I don't have a go-to "Call of shame" recipient I definitely would rather fix it roadside.
Likes For Maelochs: