scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
So this morning the ride was up Snowbasin Mt to see the colors. There's an old abandoned road leading up to the resort that's still in decent shape for using a road bike on. Quads were sore from yesterday but I was able to take a much lighter bike today with triple, oh yeah! Never even needed the "bailout" gear since the max grade on this route is just a tad over 10%. Really nice morning although a bit cool with shifting sunlight. In fact it was downright cold up top when the winds hit my sweaty body. Planned for that though so I had on my Merino wool base layer. Normally I take the new highway back down so I can let 'er rip on the bike. Today was about grabbing pictures though so I went back down on the abandoned road. You have to be a lot more careful on it as it's pretty broken up in places and it's hard to see problems areas in the dappled shade. Wonderful time out though and hopefully the pictures are cool.

At the top of the first climb. The road in the background is the part closed off to cars

Colors are going pretty good

One of the main trailheads below there.

God's country opening up before my eyes. This is literally about 10 miles from the house by bike

You can see one of the worse road sections ahead, more gravel than chipseal.

I got this old Trek purely to be a climbing machine and it does well.

More color

I used to hike all over this mountain area before my knees went to crap.

Almost back to the one trailhead where the final climb back out of here begins.

The valley and reservoir down below. Normally I'm riding the bikes down there somewhere.
Oh man - those roads! Beautiful!