View Single Post
Old 04-07-20, 04:39 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I said I would come back to this, and now I will.

I think it's likely that meaningful interstellar travel is impossible. For this purpose, "meaningful" means "I can just get in my rocket/ saucer/ ship/ whatever and fly to Alpha Centauri or an even more distant star". Frankly, I don't think meaningful interplanetary travel is possible - we can accomplish briefly putting couple of people on the Moon with the might of a superpower, and that's incredibly close by astronomical standards. We can't even get soil back from Mars (though it might be possible); getting humans there and back is right out. Getting a person to a Jovian moon? No. People make the mistake of thinking "well with progress we could get there, technology is great". No...
300 years ago (or insert any period of time that takes you back beyond the 20th century) the idea of human flight would have seemed unfathomable (yeah, da Vinci, I know). 30 years ago, the idea of a smart phone would have seemed unfathomable to most (see TNG). Look at what the ITER project could mean to us. Putting a cap on future progress seems strange given human history.