Old 09-21-19, 06:36 PM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
I have been intrigued with artistic cycling for quite a while. The key to become any good at it is to first become really, really really proficient on a unicycle first.
Actually, I know where I can get a decent condition unicycle for $50 used, so that could be a start.

Since I am a framebuilder, I could build a artistic cycling bike myself. A few problems that I see: A) how does the stem work??? Does not appear to be a quill stem, or an a-head stem.
Yep, this has been an ongoing issue for me. The stem is an unthreaded stem.

B. Regulation bikes are suppose to use a 1 to1 gear ratio. I don't know how to do that on a fixed gear bike. Maybe use an ATB crank, and use a 22t chainring, to a 22 tooth track/ fixed gear thread on cog??
One thing to consider is that the tire size of the BMX is smaller, so the crank sprocket need not be so small to create that 1:1 ratio.

I don't know if you have studied the geometry, but the bottom bracket/ crank height is really, really high (even with the wheel axles) I mean 13" plus, I would feel as though it would much safer to have the cranks lower. (<11")
Good call. I had seen this, but really hadn't given it that much weight. I would definitely prefer to be lower to the ground if possible.

That aside, I won't be getting a true artistic cycling bike anytime soon, but I will be getting a bike that is as close to it as possible. Below is a bike that would cost me $200. It's not perfect, but it is as close as I've seen to matching such a bike.

Pros:

- close tires
- single speed fixie
- road tires
- head angle looks quite steep (though not as steep as a true artistic cycle); it's definitely not slack, at least
- peddles low to ground
- back tire close to saddle tube

Cons:

- unthreaded stem. As you mentioned, it will be more difficult to find a zero reach stem to use with this bike
- aluminum frame. Not sure how well it'll live up to crashes
- I'm quite sure that the tires are bottom of the barrel and will need to be replaced

Some other possibilities (all cost around $200 CDN.):

Damco:

Critical:

Has threaded stem at least, aside from that, it's a garbage bike.

This bike below was made in England (likely the best quality of the bunch?):

So, I'm looking for ideas as to which would be the best choice. I'm liking the look and frame of the orange bike the best so far.