View Single Post
Old 11-24-21, 06:49 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
I saw a Big Agnes tent (a super-light version) and a MSR Hubba Hubba each with a broken pole this summer. To me, I don't think poles are as durable as they used to be as everyone races to the bottom saving weight. I am all for weight reduction if durability can be continued. In my opinion, new tents are just not very durable anymore. I would prefer a slightly heavier tent that had material that held up, a la the original BA Seedhouse.
You have a point about lighter poles meaning less durability and that would tend to increase the likelyhood of issues. That said, I am pretty careful about choosing sites with a bit of shelter when winds are likely and have been using bivies much of the time lately so I figure issues are unlikely even when I do use a tent. Still I don't remember the last time I had a broken tent pole. It might have been 50 years ago. None of my family members have had any broken tent poles that I know of either.

I did have a close call on the TA with a big cheap tent when unexpected winds suddenly kicked up, but we quickly knocked it down and moved it to where there was a bit of shelter.

There were probably people in camp where I was that I either didn't pay attention to or forgot about though.