View Single Post
Old 04-22-22, 08:18 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by schwim
Here's an example of what I often find. I know I'm not in the C&V category so I'm not turning this into a value thread, this is just an example. Aside from posting in that category and having someone else tell you it's value, if you found this bike for sale(and pretend you don't already know by looking at it), how would you go about learning more about the bike, it's quality and whether the asking price(in this case, $200) is fair? Sorry for no driveline pic, I have asked for one but she's not responded yet.

The first things that catch my eye are the stem shifters and the "safety" brake levers, both indicative of a lower-end model. I like that it's lugged, and those head lugs are kinda cool, and I like that it looks to have alloy rims though they are likely 27" and decent tires in that size are somewhat hard to come by (though I also notice that the front brake pads, at least, are at the top of the slots, so this likely could be fitted with 700c wheels without changing the brake calipers). I also see an alloy crankset, which is a plus and quick-release front and rear hubs, which is better than bolt on. It would come down to (1) does it fit (if you were buying it to ride and not simply re-sell? (2) what's the asking price?