View Single Post
Old 07-28-22, 04:41 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
My last canoe trip, I carried my 111B stove and stainless pans. Worked great. Heavy, but weight did not matter. I have never carried it on a bike trip and certainly would not on a backpacking trip. That said, I know for a fact that the stove works well in minus 36 degrees (F), so it would be my first choice on a winter camping trip. This stove was so scraped up that I resprayed it with some engine block temperature resistant paint, looks almost like new again.

I went up to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area every year since the mid 1980s with an old friend of mine from college days. Until 2017, he decided at his age he did not enjoy the trips as much as he used to. (We both were born in 1953, so the same age.) So, I traded my tandem canoe in on a Kevlar solo canoe (Wenonah Prism). Packing cooking gear for one instead of two is a bit different, but only size of pans is different. So, after decades of such trips, I am pretty much accustomed to what to bring on these trips, much more so than bike touring or backpacking.

I backpacked in the rockies in the 1970s (Svea and Sigg Tourist), then did not backpack again until 2010. and have not done that every year, so each trip takes a bit more planning to figure it out.
It has been quite a while since I have been canoe camping. So to be honest I have not really packed all that light on a canoe trip. I did pack moderately light in the Adirondaks a few years back. I tend to use the same spreadsheet as a starting point for both touring and backpacking (it has many options), but it would require a lot more tweaking for a canoe trip (a couple more tabs maybe and some extra items on existing tabs).