Old 01-03-23, 09:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact

For drop, if the floor isn't level, your method for bar drop will definitely be in error. If the floor sloped by 1 degree, your drop will be off by about 1 cm because the saddle is close to the rear wheel and the bar close to the front. So they will have a large slope built into them from the floor.
I still don't get this. I am just measuring the saddle and bar heights vertically relative to the floor plane. A 1 deg floor slope may lead to an error of approx 1 mm over a metre if I measure vertically at 89 deg rather than 90 deg . But my floor is much less than 1 deg out anyway. This is not the rise over run error discussed earlier when measuring setback with a plumb bob.

Actually the error would be tiny as both height measurements would be at 89 deg, so the error would be their difference i.e. bar drop x cos 1 deg

In practice using this method to measure bar drop I find that the important thing is to make sure the bars are level in the front view, which I do by measuring their height at both ends.

Last edited by PeteHski; 01-03-23 at 09:54 AM.