Old 08-08-22, 11:21 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
The OP brings up some legitimate concerns. I "generally" don't ride on any road that doesn't have either a paved shoulder, a middle left turn lane or a dedicated bike lane. I don't mind an occasional tight section but I have my radar, and my Take-A-Look mirror, on high alert for those.

Then there is the argument that we have every legal right to be on the road with motorists and they should give us the legal and proper distance when passing. Well, yes we do (unless otherwise posted) and yes they should, but the reality is that we have to watch out for ourselves and preserve our life and health on the road. That's OUR responsibility to ourselves and our family.

I have been riding on the road 50+ years and we have it GOOD today. Back in the 1960's/70's, it was the wild, wild west riding on the road. Most motorists driving habits are pretty good today. Yes, there are a few bad apples but there are bad apples riding bikes too...let's be honest here.

In the end, you want to come home safe and sound with no road rash, no broken bones and no wrecked bike. To do that every ride, you do what you have to do, but I can tell you from my experience that flipping off motorists, being a butthead with road rage on a bike is counter-productive.

I ride in a predictive mode. Meaning, I look for and anticipate what could happen. Every mile of every road is ridden like that. You know, the car coming up to a 4-way stop intersection, a busy street when a light turns red, a road hazard up ahead that you'll need to navigate around in traffic, etc, etc.

In all of my 50+ years of riding the only really dangerous and bad things that have happened occurred years ago. Yes, I get the occasional driver that passes too close but that isn't often because I don't ride on roads where that could happen. Red light runners? I actively watch for them. Road Rage Cowboys? I give them a wide berth. Drivers not paying attention or on their phone? I see them before they see me.

I also say a prayer before my feet hit the pedals on every ride.
Likes For drlogik: