SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I sometimes wonder if a lot of the perceived need for more padding, thicker tape, etc. could be avoided by better bike fitting. I use the 2.5 mm tape you see in the pic I posted on most of my bikes, with no padding underneath. I don't get numbness or pain even after hours of riding, and I have issues with carpal tunnel syndrome from decades of working in the lab. I set up my saddle position so I'm able to lift my hands off the bars without falling forward, which keeps weight off my hands. I wonder whether everyone who double-wraps their bars, or puts foam or gel padding under the tape might benefit from adjusting saddle and bar position a bit? For example, I bought a new bike in 2020 and the first ride, my hands kept going numb. The bar was an inch higher than all my other bikes. When I lowered the bar to the same height as the others, the numbness went away.

NOTE! I can only speak from my own experience. Not accusing anyone of poor bike set up!
Agreed. Saddle fore/aft position should be set for balance rather than to compensate for reach. Reach should be decreased by reducing seat post offset and/or stem length.
Likes For SoSmellyAir: