View Single Post
Old 11-27-22, 10:04 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Thanks for clarifying that when you said earlier that "modern hybrids are just flat bar gravel bikes," you really meant that "some higher performance hybrids" are like gravel bikes.

Can you show an example of one of these higher-performance 1X hybrids that has a carbon fork, hydro discs, gear braze-ons, and big tire clearance? I don't think I've encountered one.
Happy to oblige. My bike: Specialized; carbon frameset; Future Shock; 1x11 drivetrain; hydraulic disc brakes; came stock with 38mm Specialized 'gravel' tires (I switched 'em to 32 Roubaix Pros [personal preference]), but it will take up to 42; can take a rear rack and f/r mudguards if one were so inclined. Etc. Since this pic: Future Shock is now 2.0 (warranty replacement of the original); brakes are flat-mount Shimano XT. Weight at present is just over 19 lbs; plan to get it below that with a crank and wheelset change in due course. I like light-weight bikes.

I use it as a flat-bar road bike; would make a perfectly competent 'gravel' bike with a simple tire change. I find the 32s fine for the surfaces I ride: paved and dirt roads; the occasional hard-packed, non-technical dirt trail.

Oh, and yes: the term 'hybrid' is utterly meaningless in today's bicycle market.

Likes For badger1: