Old 11-29-22, 10:43 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Talk to me about this. I used to have a Trek 1200 or 1220 and it was aluminum and the ride was harsh. I never really understood what people meant about steel being a forgiving ride until I tried that bike. Now, I have an aluminum framed bike - my hardtail mtb. But I'm a bit gun shy on aluminum for a road bike.

I'm also used to seeing aluminum frames crack, a lot. How does a Cannondale hold up? I'm sure for foul weather it is hard to beat.
Granted, the sum of the parts is a major factor, but for some reason this bike has "everything". I got the frame from Craigslist for cheap, and the original plan was a rainy day commuter. Once I took it out (after repaint) it was mind blowing from day one. It has carbon forks and seat post, so that factors in, but that alone won't totally transform a bike.

I have other aluminum bikes like a 1998 Pinarello, that also ride good, but not like the Cannondale. Aluminum does have the cumulative fatigue life, so there is always that possibility of cracking, but I have probably 8000+ miles on my Cannondale ( purchased used, so who knows how many miles) and 15,000+ on the Pinarello (now retired, decals flaking). A good aluminum frame is engineered to go the distance.

This steel Colnago is my harshest riding bike by a lot. It is super stiff.

Smooth, fast, and stiff without being too harsh. Very balanced bike.

Super flexy. I can get it to "ghost" shift if I really give it the gas when standing.
Likes For Erzulis Boat: