Old 09-30-21, 06:54 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Shipping issues from China vs. new bike build

I currently ride a bike I built up during the Covid lockdown.

I did some research and read a lot of road reviews, knowing that some of the Chinese carbon framesets are, well, as they say, "you get what you pay for". I decided to order one from ICAN cycling - a model A8 for rim brakes, as I had a nice set of Boyd carbon wheels in rim brake version. It finally arrived after about 6 weeks, and I finished it up with Ultegra Di2 with internally wired alloy bars (Richey aero.) I had my LBS tech install the BB and headset, and he was very impressed with the quality of the frameset. I have about a thousand miles on it now, and I have to say I'm very happy with it.
Now, it looks like we're coming into "Lockdown, Part 2 - the Delta Variant" with many group rides being curtailed or cancelled again.

Today, I got an email from ICAN. They are having a sale on their A9 frameset in disc brake version. And, of course, Shimano is introducing their Ultegra 12 speed semi-wireless group, meaning I could use the Whiskey CF bars I have and not have to deal with external wiring. To top it off, Boyd is giving 20% of a set of CF wheels during their trade-in program (any set of wheels you trade in, they check them over and give them to junior racers) and I just happen to have a set of alloy Easton wheels here.

So, why am I not pulling the trigger? With the shipping delays from China, I would probably have a really nice pair of Boyd wheels, and some Whiskey bars waiting for the rest of the bike to arrive for - who knows how long? I'm afraid that during that waiting period, I may come to my senses and realize that I don't need another bike. It's certainly not going to make me any faster (at almost 70, I describe the A8 as a Ferrari with a lawn mower engine powering it.)

Having my second cup of coffee, mulling things over.