Old 04-01-22, 09:50 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One of the exceptions to trusting a truing stand to act as a dishing tool is the VAR PreciRay. Not sure if that's what MH is referring to. The PreciRay has vertical wheel holding supports that slide horizontally. As the axle is held down by little clamps the side pressure of the vertical supports can be minimal. The rigidness and stability of these stands is intoxicating. The stand has a couple of scales that allow for overall lock nut width and rim widths to be measured and the rim side location, for a properly dished result, is able to be set by sliding the indicator holding plate side to side. hard to envision but easy to understand if it's in front of you. I got mine as a pay for a week's vacation way back in the early 1980s. Preciray truing stand - Speedbicycles BTW the right side flat "shelf" above the RH axle support sits a beer really handily Andy
Andy,
No, I now have a newer model purchased a few years ago from Mel Pinto Imports Here are a couple of pictures showing the tool and the slide mechanism that holds multiple hub sizes:

Heavy and a robust tool, note the slide bars made of square tubing steel, and the single adjustment wheel that controls the side and latera runout gauge.

The slide bars hold the uprights stable and have heavy bearings in the uprights. The slide is a single control bar for actuation utilizing an offset pair of control rods.
The single wheel unit can be removed and the stand modified for putting gauges on for both true and radial run out. I have a few dial indicators that I can use for the adaptation but have found I am not really building to that exacting of a specification for most of the wheels I am building. HTH, MH