Thread: Too old to BMX
View Single Post
Old 04-09-20, 11:37 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Well, I bought some new tires yesterday. I bought them locally and not sure if I chose super wisely but we'll see how they work out after riding a while. I didn't want to order any, despite that I know some places are still shipping. I ordered a seat from Amazon about 3 weeks ago, through some place called BikeSomeWhere and it hasn't moved. Not sure what's going on. I can't get through to talk with anyone and no one is responding to my inquiries. Well Amazon has but nobody from the seller has.

So I went to my local bike shop. They had a few different choices. Odyssey Aitken 2.25, which have a more aggressive tread than I wanted. The 2.4 street sweepers which I didn't want. Then it had some Kenda Couples 2.25 and Kenda Admrials 2.1. I didn't want to go TOO small, but I was thinking if I went 2.25 I wouldn't notice that much of a difference from the 2.4's I have on currently. But what's funny is once I installed them I measured the with a micrometer and they are only 2.0 wide. LOL. I was hoping they would at least be 2.1 or a hair bigger. My friend has some Maxxis Grifters 2.1 and he said they measure more like 2.18. So anyways... my tires are pretty small. It was probably more like buying 1.95's.

I do think I like them, but I'm not sure how footjams are gonna go. I rode last night but it had rained during the day and the pavement will still kind of wet. And whenever my tires get wet I can't do footjams. My feet just slip. But I'm not sure how much the fork is gonna gobble my foot up. LOL.

I probably should've ponied up the extra dough and ordered maxxis grifters 2.1. But I'll just have to live with these for new. They're definitely a bunch lighter than the other tires and I think I like them better in other aspects. I just was hoping to be more in line with 2.1-2.2 size. But for all I know these will be perfect. I do think the lighter weight might help with hops. But then I'm going to stick more weight back on with some pegs. I bought 2 Cult Butter pegs at the store and they're not necessarily super light. 4.9 ounces each. They felt light at the store. LOL. Eventually I'll get 2 more really light ones. Probably keep the Cult on the front and put some light ones on the back. I have two steel ones but they're 6 ounces each. And I'd rather find something lighter. I know there are many out there that are not overly heavy. If I get my money back from my seat I might use that money to buy two more super light pegs.

I think the smaller tires look better.....

Before and after: