View Single Post
Old 06-06-21, 12:42 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This is uncalled for, especially since folks are trying to help with your problem. Hints as to our mechanical competence are apparent on BF, there may be no assumption involved.
But it is true. He said:

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Before you install a new derailleur and chain, have a shop mechanic correct the bent dropout/derailleur mounting tab or else the problem will recur.
A smart approach would be to say, check the dropout/derailleur mounting tab is not bent, or else the problem might recur.

Anyone with minor mechanical ability could look at it themself, and see if it is straight or bent.

Maybe he needs to take his bike to a mechanic, but many others have mechanical skills to do this themselves.

It has never happened before, and not something I ever expected, so not something I investigated in detail. Now that it has happened, It is something I will be conscious of, and check.

I had someone recently tell me I should learn how to patch a tube. I suggest that most people on this forum know how to patch a tube. I believe it is really bad on their part to imply that others are stupid.

I am not saying this because of myself. I believe those that imply that others are stupid, will continue to upset people, and display their own stupidity. I am trying to help him.

I know that some come on this forum, and say things that indicate that they have little mechanical understanding. But most people on this have a reasonable understanding of mechanics.

I take my bike to places where many others would not go. I stress it much more than those who only go on gentle rides. In the future, things will continue to break, and I will continue to need to repair them. But it would be boring if I only ever went on gentle rides.

Last edited by alo; 06-06-21 at 12:51 PM.