Old 06-07-21, 08:33 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Copperopolis Road Race

My plan was tear apart the field because really I thought that was the only chance I had. The hill was probably too small for me to do that, and 2 of us worked hard but it only got down to 6 (out of 12). 4 of them were on 2 teams and whenever I finished a pull they would attack, so I just sat in the back and let them do the work. I was feeling okay but when I went down the descent I took some bumps really hard and I would have swore I blacked out for a split second (its hard to describe how bumpy this descent was, definitely the worst I've been on in asphalt). After that I was done, and got dropped. I lost 2 minutes, almost latched back on the hill but it took too much and I was done. I'm frustrated that my riding ability keeps putting me out of races, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. at least 3 guys (including one guy that I stopped for on the second lap) were medevac'ed out from going down on that descent.

I think you had to be out of the saddle (I wasn't) and a bit back to do descend there. Some racers had zero issues on it and others just couldn't do it. If I ever do the race again I'll have to work on that, but being a 15 hour roundtrip its debatable if I'll ever do it again.

That's probably the last race (as a competitor) I'll do this year, we have open crits, but since it all ages and cats its more just a donation and practice. Hopefully some more stuff gets organized with hills.
Yeah, trying to tear apart the field doesn't really work there. The typical strategy is to let the race come to you -- survive the first half, let the roads beat everyone up, ride hard enough up the main hill, and typically, a late race attack on the little climb before the descent is pretty typical. Maintaining speed and gearing is pretty important on that course -- too light doesn't work well on bad pavement and too big will crack your legs. The idea is to maintain enough speed at all times to skim over most of the bad stuff.

The descent, as you realized, requires you to be relaxed, weight back, and loose on the bike and just letting your bike run.

Last edited by tobukog; 06-07-21 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For tobukog: