View Single Post
Old 07-11-21, 11:05 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I think I might be or at least like to think I might be in RiddleOfSteel's camp on this interesting subject. That said, I posted this over on the +50 forum, 65-85+ thread when we were asked why so many steel bike showed up on the "What do old people ride...?" and he asked seemingly incredulously are these everyday rides and why would you do that when carbon is so much better. I think it plays a part in this thread as well at least for me:
I religiously rotate through my collection; everyone of my bikes was hand-crafted by artisans with things like carefully brazed and tapered lugs, many thinned by craftsmen and craftswomen with files. This attention to detail and esthetics was paid to every stage of the build. I greatly value the components ease of repair and lack of planned obsolescence now present in the cycling industry. So when you say "better to ride" it is based on your set of well understood facts and personal beliefs, but for me "better" is influenced by my personal beliefs. Starting with a Trek 5500 in 1998 (still hanging up in the shop) I bought a new WIzzbang bike every few years only to let it go after a couple of years then stopped after four such bikes.
I forgot to add that the early Specialized carbon bikes, the Allez/Epic bikes, with aluminum forks, felt wonderful, even if they were too small for me (62cm). Very engaging yet comfortable. I also like Lemonds' "Spine" bikes where the HT, DT, and CS were 853 steel and everything else was carbon. A logical way to employ the benefits of both materials. Alas, those are too small, too. But they look fantastic!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: