burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
It was NOT ADVICE but a simple statement of what I have used for the events I've done and the uplifting feeling when this at the time 60+yo rider was passing YOUNGER individuals riding event specific bikes
So, why exactly jump on a topic where someone is seeking advice about whether to spend possibly a lot of money on a bike they may or may not use did you see that as an opening to try to humble-brag?

You literally just admitted to reading the OP's topic, and deciding to not give advice but to brag.

Either give the advice or don't.

If someone is asking about whether to try out minimalist or maximalist running shoes, going off on a tangent about a dog stealing your shoes and running your best ever 5k barefoot wouldn't really lend anything to the conversation.

The cliff's notes are:
-yes, you can use any bike within the rules for the events just fine (including a road bike with clip-ons, which is very common)
-yes, tri bikes are designed to provide the ergonomics for: improved aero, comfort, and nutrition availability specific to riding a bike in a triathlon
-yes, you can spend a LOT or a little and still be faster, and perhaps even more comfortable on the bike
-yes, I would attempt an event or two as-is before deciding to upgrade to a tri-specific bike. I'd hate to spend the money just to never wind up using it

My personal advice: Use what you have right now for an event or two that is a bit shorter than your longest target event in the future. If you want to do 1/2 IM at some point, try a sprint and an OLY. Then, take notes about how you felt and decide about "do I want to keep doing this". If the answer is "yes I do" combined with "non-draft legal" then I would investigate getting a triathlon dedicated bike.
Likes For burnthesheep: