Old 07-03-08, 10:14 AM
Rahzel

Bikes: Trek 1500 road bike, Giant Trinity Alliance tri bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triguy
Actually the two biggest aero gurus in the bike world believe in slack(75-77) riding, Steve Hed and Jon Cobb, I was fit by one of them.

If you don't realize that a person can back calculate aerodynamics from a power file you don't realize much when it comes to utilizing a power meter. Do you own one?
To be fair, I do not own a power meter, and upon further thought I do now see how one can calculate drag from one's power numbers, provided that one is able to accurately measure speed on several runs over an identical course!

In any case, it seems we will not convince each other, but in this particular instance that's fine. This is, after all, a resource to help triathletes decide what bike to ride. I believe 78 degrees is better, you believe 76 degrees is better. Fortunately, this isn't American politics so people can choose what's best for them! (and two tiny degrees seems to be what separates the two American political parties these day anyway yuk yuk yuk)

As a bookend to this debate, I will say this: I have obviously written my original post with a bias towards 78 degree seat tube angle bikes, which i fully admit to. Triguy, if there are any 76 degree angle bikes that you feel I should include on my list, please let me know and I'll put them on there! I know of several 76 degree bikes (and one 74 degree bike, the Kestrel Talon) that I left off the list, but mostly because those are European bikes and I don't know a lot about them (or how to buy them in the U.S.)

I have a strong opinion on this matter, but I don't necessarily want that to shine through on the original post. Again, let me know how you feel I can improve the original post and I will do so, in the interests of inclusiveness