View Single Post
Old 12-27-20, 12:44 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Ctmcycling
Hello everyone!! Im A bmx rider that turned to road biking a few days ago. ...
I assume in a few days you have not considered equipment yet. But, you probably have a bike.

You may find that you need to spend some quality time with a bicycle saddle to decide if that is the right one for you for distance. There is no generic answer, everyone has different preferences. For example, I have tried some saddles that other long distance riders really like, but I found them to be medieval torture devices.

And good cycling shoes are also important. If your foot starts to hurt when you are half way there, you might have trouble finishing. And if you use cleated type shoes, then the pedals to go with them is another expense. (If you buy pedals and install them your self, one side is left hand thread.)

Clothing, like bike shorts, jersey, etc.

I assume you have a helmet and good glasses to wear already.

Go to several bike shops, talk to several sales people before you spend a dime, then think about what they said as you start riding, If you suspect that a bike shop salesperson is not very knowledgeable, and many are not, ask his or her experience with long distance riding to see if they have anything useful to say. And you could ask if anyone at that store has ridden the ride you want to ride to see if they have any specific input.