View Single Post
Old 06-30-21, 04:27 PM
Iron Horse

Bikes: Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by roybatythighs
My old British Tourer (Nigel Dean World Tour) needs a new freewheel, my LBS guy said don't replace the chain till you've replaced the freewheel. It came with the Accushift plus indexing and a seven speed 13 to 32(?) freewheel. Suntour have long gone and NOS Suntour freewheels are fetching absurd monies on eBay, especially the wide range freewheels "like what I have got". Are there any "good enough" index compatible freewheels that would work with the Suntour indexed shifters and derailleur. It is not a bike I ride often so I don't want to go mad on replacing it but I'd like to keep it running for sentimental reasons. Cheers.
Have a look-see at your current freewheel gears closely. If the teeth are still squared off, or mostly squared off at the top of the teeth, I would not worry too much about it. If they are round, or shaped like a shark fin, then it is time to replace. I am prone to pushing the life envelope of my vintage rides, and knock on wood, I have not had any problems with just changing the chain when it starts making noise coming off the freewheel or derailleur cogs. Not "correct," but then neither am I.
There are other brands of freewheels that may give you the same gearing, they just won't be Suntour. The few seven speeds I have replaced, ranged in price from $10-$20.
You could also rob a freewheel from an old junk bike if it's in decent shape or the brand you want, overhaul it, and put it into service.
Just some ideas.
​Eric