View Single Post
Old 03-05-21, 06:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
So what do you guys do when your done riding for the day on tours. I remember my last solo tour and boredom was a bear. The riding was great, but when I was done for the day I was bored to death. It was usually to hot to sleep. What keeps you busy while not on the bike?
So, you have toured. So, you know how long it takes to set up camp, take a shower if at a campground so equipped, make supper, clean up, maybe do a bit of bike or equipment maint, etc.

And you are still bored. Some people get bored easily, I always find something to do on a bike trip, boredom not really a problem.

Sometimes I have taken my phone and a charger to the camp office if they had wi fi and check long range weather forecasts, look at the route for next several days to try to figure out if there was a better route, etc. If at a campground with hiking trails, take a hike. I stopped carrying a book to read years ago as I never opened it up. (I carry one on canoe and kayak trips, if you are stuck on shore in high winds, those days can get really boring.)

Do you have a liner for your sleeping bag? A gal I used to work with always brought a sleeping bag liner, her main reason was when camping where there are no showers, it keeps your sleeping bag a lot cleaner. So, I bought a sleeping bag liner as that sounded like a good idea. My next trip, some evenings it was around 70 degrees (F), it was a lot easier to climb into a sleeping bag liner and then as the night got colder I would slide more of me into my sleeping bag. I think I have brought a sleeping bag liner on every trip I have gone on for the past decade, now have three of them.