View Single Post
Old 04-19-21, 01:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
We aren't talking about protecting at this point. What is being discussed here is justification for spending three figures on helmets that meet outlier standards for head protection when the CSPS or Snell or whatever standards have been protecting noggins well enough for decades. My (only) helmet cost $35 in 2008 and I've gotten used to having it at this point and it is a handy place for my EVT mirror, so it remains. And all this crashing ... multiple crashes by the same rider ... I'm sorry, I really must insist ... crashing is unacceptable. If you set yourself that standard you MAY, in spite of yourself, crash ONCE in your lifetime, badly enough to need a new helmet. More than that and you should sell the bike. I am a certified genius, so your earlier snark about "nothing worth protecting" ... whatever. I was (and still am) overstating an opinion to make a point.
For a "certified genius" (whatever that is) you are missing quite a lot here.

I think you may not appreciate that different people have different riding goals and habits. There are people on this forum who ride 10k+ miles per year, race, and commute daily in heavy traffic. If you think that such people can simply will themselves to not crash, you are living in a fantasyland, since we can't always control what motorists and other riders will do. You also don't seem to realize that plenty of riders are happy to pay 'three figures' for a helmet that is lighter and better-ventilated while still offering good protection. I spend about 500 hours per year on bikes, in all kinds of weather, and I will gladly pay such prices for a helmet that is even a little bit more comfortable.
Likes For Koyote: