Old 07-16-21, 10:06 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Hopefully never. Rim brakes are a poor design: any essential system that works by wearing away a structural component of your bike is an inherently flawed design and should be re-thought. Disc brakes solve that issue.

I never saw it as a real problem at all.

I think road bike disc brakes are a really good idea in a few circumstances:

- Lots of riding in wet conditions

- Carbon rims (another fairly recent development that's becoming quite prominent)

- You think they look cool, don't mind that your frame must have wider spacing, and don't like the thought of having to replace rims when they wear out after thousands of miles

I think claims about disc brakes' better power and modulation are greatly overstated. And I don't believe they really cool better (but at least you never have to worry about them getting so hot on a huge descent that tire blowout could become a concern).

Disadvantages include requirement for tangent spoke lacing, and for a stronger/heavier fork. The latter is kind of moot, since everything comes with a beefy, carbon fork now (aero shaped legs are inherently strong along the axis where needed to counter braking forces, without adding much weight).

I side with those who believe we'll have rim brakes for decades to come, on lower end bikes. The upper tiers in every manufacturer's lineup will probably never go back. I'm kind of ambivalent about this, as I am with electronic shifting, ever higher numbers of cogs, and lots of other tech developments. Part of me misses the old ways, but I get that progress is a good thing and inevitable.
Likes For Broctoon: