Old 02-12-12, 07:29 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just don't understand brooks saddles. Apart from the fact that I am not into killing animals for a luxury cover, they are far heavier, more expensive, and less durable than just about any synthetic saddle. And besides the tanning industry is a human and ecological nightmare. I bought my last saddle for 50 bucks (Lorica cover, carbon inset, and Ti rails ~190 gms). It has ~10K on it with absolutely no sign of wear.
Leather saddles provide some of the best comfort and lessened friction than any other material that a human can sit on for long periods of time. Leather is also notoriously long-lasting and good-wearing. And it "breaks-in" to your unique proportions, which synthetics suck at. This extends beyond bicycles -- ask any horseback rider about "synthetic" saddles vs. leather.....I have several in the family and have been around them for my entire life -- I've NEVER met one who doesn't prefer a leather saddle. Most of them also have nothing but hate for other saddle types.

You are perfectly free to make your own opinions about whichever items you choose to purchase, but try to at least keep your opinion "whacked-out hippie activist" as opposed to just ignorant (i.e. people use leather saddles for very practical reasons, not because they like to kill animals).

BTW - you've probably been riding in a car and have killed a lot of insects on the windshield -- like beautiful and rare Lepidopterans. You've probably removed a lot of good bacteria from your skin via scratching and showering -- do you really think that's fair to deny those organisms their right to exist just for your own selfish comfortt?

Oh, and you eat unleavened bread right?

To OP: I do absolutely nothing to my brooks b67 at this point and it's about 5 years old now. I've been in a few rain storms and I figure my butt is usually on the saddle, and once I get home it is allowed to dry just fine....so no issues so far. I think I treated with proofide the week I bought it, but I've done nothing since.

Last edited by TurbineBlade; 02-12-12 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For TurbineBlade: