View Single Post
Old 11-13-22, 07:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
We all do some degree of risk assessments in our daily lives which are made up of likelihood and consequence. I think it completely reasonable that having 3 failures and one with a horrific outcome would make one extraordinarily risk adverse and perhaps make judgements that seem unreasonable to us who believe the probability highly unlikely and the severity potential at an acceptable level.
But, he's had two steel forks fail and still prefers steel to carbon fiber which he has no experience or explained basis for mistrusting. I don't question his right to make the risk assessment for himself, and it certainly is not usnusual or bizarre to prefer steel over any other fork material. He doesn't need to justify his choice at all, but it's just confusing. He gave such a detailed analysis about the three metal fork failures he experienced but not any reason to have such a suspicion about carbon fiber. None of ths would be discussed (at least by me) if he'd just said what countless other people have said about their mistrust of carbon fiber forks: I prefer steel.

Personally, this just seems like a time warp back 20 years or more.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-13-22 at 07:55 PM.