Old 07-10-16, 03:26 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
I couldn't care less if one to chooses to tour on an e-bike,
Great, far too many people get too wound up about what other people choose to do.

Originally Posted by seeker333
although I'd probably just rent a decent motor vehicle for this type of "tour" since it's probably less costly than buying an e-bike
that is a bit of a non-sequitur

The two are different activities that have little to do with one another. It is like saying, "I would rather go sailing than a High-School reunion" That is fine as a statement of preference; however, one should not pretend they they are analogous activities; other than that both are things a person might do with their leisure time.

I find it interesting that the people who claim that an e-bike* is just like a motor vehicle tend to have very little actual experience riding e-bikes*.

All that being said, many here know that I am in the process of adding two of these:

from here

And this:

from here

to this:

I already have the pile of parts; so I am past the idle dreaming stage. I am waiting for school to start so the students in my engineering club can work on it. The principal loved it as a student project.

Why do it? First, for the Edmund Hillary reason of, "because it's there." Of course, I look forward to riding with a sunshade. I would also like my loaded touring bike to ride like it does empty.

That may sound like I am trying to take the pain out of touring. On that, first, touring is not an exercise in machismo. Second, yes, I am. I have a medical problem (cerebral palsy & arthritis) that severely interferes with walking long distances. It also interferes with riding, heavily loaded, for long distances. There is just a point where pain, not exhaustion, kicks in. It isn't a slow build up, it is sudden and extreme. Frankly I prefer to avoid that. I can ride, lightly loaded for extended distances; that is what I am trying to be able to do with this.

Here is a picture of one person's project, I expect mine to be similar; except that I intend to use less panels.

Here are a couple of other, well known, and better built, solar bikes:

Is it touring? Yes.
Is it on a bicycle? Yes.
Is it bicycle touring? Yes; but it is, admittedly, a different game while bicycle touring.

*When I say "e-bike" I am referring to low power electric bicycles, defined by federal, and most states, laws as bicycles. I am not referring to electric motorcycles and mopeds. For a better understanding of what an e-bike is, feel free to ask in an appropiately titled thread in the e-bike subforum.

Last edited by Robert C; 07-10-16 at 03:29 PM.