Thread: bikesdirect.com
View Single Post
Old 04-08-22, 06:32 AM
Stephen Howe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, re the Spirit, their webpage says: "*New SALE Price for 2023 model due to lower Freight Costs and negotiations. No retroactive price adjustments available as previous shipments costs much more." The dropdown menus have six sizes in four colors. This has been the case since December: the Vent Noir wasn't available, the Spririt was available, dropdowns showing all sizes and colors. (The Spirit I got was 56cm black.) The new model year Spirit appears to be identical to the old model, but the ad also says "Specs May Update to Newest NEW 2023 STOCK parts at no extra charge". No idea what those new parts would be, so no way to know if they're actually an upgrade. My best theory is that the bikes weren't selling, they complained to the manufacturer(s), and they agreed that the old bikes could be sold at a reduced price to make room for new bikes at a lower price. If and when the "new 2023 stock parts" become apparent I'll have a better sense of how badly I was screwed. I'll feel extra screwed if these new parts include Shimano wheels (like the Vent Noir has)

Returning to the dropdowns having all colors and sizes; that's not necessarily the final word, because you have to go through what seems to be an entire checkout process before you know for sure they actually have the product. I know this because I have tried to order a Motobecane jersey, I think I even was sent to PayPal and back before I got the we-don't-actually-have-that message. The way they put it is, "If you see "SoldOut" During CheckOut, Someone else got it." They make it sound like its a race to the checkout, but seems more likely its just too much trouble to keep their dropdowns up to date, or maybe they're being secretive.

In any case, anybody who is in the market, the big take away should be, the Vent Noir is now available after having been unavailable since at least December; grab one if you can. Or, the Spirit is now available for $300 less than I paid for it just a couple months ago, grab one to humiliate me.

Anybody who tries to order one of these bikes, please let us know the gory details.