Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
OK, I won't take offense to your presumption that I'm an idiot and we'll just address the point. Even if I "learned to shift" and even if I spent time and effort on "bike set up and maintenance" and even if everything worked just perfectly. The point is that I still see no benefit, or at least minimal benefit, to me in the way and normal conditions in which I ride. But people are focusing on shifting and maintenance because that's easier than addressing what I said.

The point of my post really is to counter some of the cycling dogma. "Oh, you have to have this" or "you have to do that", or your not a real cyclist. I may be new to cycling, at least as a serious hobby (ain't no spring chicken here), but I've been around the block a few dozen times. I've learned *some* cyclists are some of the most clique-y people I've ever met. I have only been on the forum for a few months but I've seen new people come in and early on people are advising them to learn to ride clipped in so they think there's some life changing magic that happens when you start riding clipped in.

Flame suit is fine. Thanks for asking. Some of it was venting. I was actually going to post a thread that was a little more well rounded after I finished my observations in a couple weeks. That last experience cut in to that schedule. I spent a half hour yesterday removing the SPD and Look pedals from all my bikes. Never again. And I'm happy to "look bad" to all those people with ages of experience. Judgement goes both ways, you know.

It's funny. I come here with an opinion contrary to cycling dogma and people treat me like I have never ridden a bike before. I took my training wheels off and slapped on a pair of Looks. Ya, that's what happened.

Don't know. Don't care.
Judge however you want. Again, I'm OK with my opinion and those who disagree aren't bothering me in the least. Still here. Nobody is running me off.
Well, that is odd. I grew up riding bikes, nothing fancy, coaster brake bikes until I was able to buy a J.C. Higgens "English racer" bike with 3 gears and rim brakes, using my paperboy money. In the summer, I'd leave the house in the morning on my bike and return for dinner. This is in Fairbanks, some pavement, a lot of gravel.

What's the point of that paragraph? I learned to ride a bike. It takes time. When I got to college and bought a used 10-speed with toe clips and straps, it was a revelation. I was turbine-powered. Why? Because I already knew how to pedal, deep down in my spinal ganglia. I never fell over, because I knew how to steer a bike at all speeds and could always reach down, loosen a strap, and pull my foot out.

30 years later when I returned to cycling, clipless pedals were even better, so easy to get in and out of, nothing to it.

So. Beginner opinions are worthless. When starting a new sport, the thing to do is to ape your betters. They're doing it right. You'll figure out why they do things the way they do in time, if you stay with that sport that is. Just keep at it and try to keep your emotions in check. It's OK to cry from frustration. Been there, done that. Just keep at it. Or quit, whatever. It's your life.