burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If there was really any worthwhile advantage here, don't you think Shimano/SRAM/Campag would be on to it anyway? The one thing you can say is that not having over-sized pulley wheels certainly isn't going to hold you back in any meaningful way. I love tech, but these are a joke - especially given the price. I would struggle to think of a worse ROI.
Of course it won't, especially for anyone who isn't in the vast minority of folks who would ever benefit from such a thing.

The groupset makers aren't interested in making a straight chainline optimized, not very often shifted, single event use rear derailleur. In other words, they aren't interested in making a time trial rear derailleur optimized for folks who mostly do flat TT's and never shift gears.

The big wheel long cages don't shift as well. So that's a non-starter for them to make that compromise and make tooling and inventory for that. The 1/3 of a single watt or half a watt gained isn't worth the loss of shifting accuracy or speed to most users.

Don't forget, just because the use case being 99.99% irrelevant and meaning a groupset maker won't do it doesn't mean it isn't relevant to the .01% of folks. It's just the marketing push to sell product to folks who don't understand.

We agree here, I just don't agree on some of the rationales being provided. That's all.