View Single Post
Old 12-02-05, 03:52 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
Yo Vince, good points. here's some more observations.
I think I'm with Bruce on this one...

The gear range of the new Shimano Nexus 8 is 307%....the SRAM 7 is 303%... the Shimano obviously has a closer gear ratio spacing in addition to wider overall gear range.
I checked with Sheldon Brown's website, and get 305% for the SRAM and 306% for the Shimano.. but essentially the same! I also think there may be a virtue in having closer ratios.

The Nexus (locally)with shifter is $46 (US) more than the SRAM 7
I didn't notice shifter prices, but the hubs themselves are both $200 +/- a few $0.01 at Sheldon Brown, so there's nothing pricewise seperating them!

the SRAM 9 looks interesting,
Oh yes... drool drool drool...

I haven't heard anything about SRAM & maintenance, but as a corollary to what was said about that - a bike mechanic friend of mine says that Sturmey Archer hubs are much nicer to work on than Shimano. He says most of a Sturmey hub is metal, built to last and/or to replace individual parts easily. By contrast the Shimano has some delicate plastic parts and is designed so you can only swap out large sub-assemblies...