View Single Post
Old 12-09-05, 10:12 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I am 6' 205lbs .....yes I've put on some weight and the FS is my daily ride. It can easily handle a 220lb rider, however I don't know how they will respond to a 250lb rider. Therefore we are conservative with our recommendations.

As many customers have noted our bikes are overbuilt, however some risks (problems) that may arise include:
1. Fork bottoming out
2. Too much Fork, shock sag
3. Fast wear at the suspension pivots.
4. Spokes breaking (doubtful but possible)
5. Component damage (such as pedals, saddle, etc)

Thanks,
Yan

Originally Posted by pearce
I'm really intrigued by these Downtube folders....I've been interested in getting a folder for a while and I had no idea one could be had for such a reasonable price. Here's my problem: I'm a Clydesdale...6'1'' and about 250 lbs...not so much round as wide and densely built. I notice that the weight limit for the Downtube is listed at 220 lbs. What are the risks of exceeding this weight limit? Are there components that I can replace to make the bike sturdy enough for my size? I would only be riding it on decent paved surfaces for the most part and it seems like those 20" wheels would be pretty stout. I have read Dr. Lyansky's contributions to this forum with great interest..I like what he is doing and would like to purchase from his company. Any suggestions?