Old 12-10-05, 11:11 AM
Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by downtube
I am 6' 205lbs .....yes I've put on some weight and the FS is my daily ride. It can easily handle a 220lb rider, however I don't know how they will respond to a 250lb rider. Therefore we are conservative with our recommendations.

As many customers have noted our bikes are overbuilt, however some risks (problems) that may arise include:
1. Fork bottoming out
2. Too much Fork, shock sag
3. Fast wear at the suspension pivots.
4. Spokes breaking (doubtful but possible)
5. Component damage (such as pedals, saddle, etc)

Thanks,
Yan
Just remember that if you are approaching the design limits of anything you need to be more attentive to potential problems. DO visual inspections. Since I am a pilot I give my bike a pre-flight (ride) check before riding off. Each week I do the PM (preventative maintenance) required. Do this a few times and you will see any trouble patterns starting to emerge and spot trends of other things.

Don't forget to use your ears too. If it makes a strange or new sound inspect it. Don't assume it is normal. Use all your senses. Over time you will refine them so they are like little sensors that give you more information so that you can diagnose problems more quickly.

This is how I kept from shredding a wheel on my Dahon SpeedPro.
Since I am not light AND it had lightweight wheels, it was crucial to keep an eye on it until they bedded in. Obviously don't curb jump the bike and watch the big bumps as well. If you are attentive usually you can find spot things before there is a catastrophic failure. Don't push the bike until you have fully broken it in and make sure everything works properly.