View Single Post
Old 11-29-20, 07:47 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
It really is the death of the LHT/Disc Trucker as we knew them prior to the 2020 DT redesign. No more bar end shifters or long chain stays.
It is interesting that they shortened the chain stays and went to brifters. I guess they are making the chain stay change due to people packing lighter or maybe to people using the bikes more as general purpose bikes than as heavily loaded touring bikes. The brifter change is probably in part due to brifters having attained a pretty well proven reliability track record. So I can see that being a reasonable choice.

Personally I also think the disc brake choice is a no brainer if they needed to choose one model to keep.

I know that it will be bad news to many who love that type of bike, but I never liked riding that kind of geometry myself, hate bar end shifters, and have become a convert to disc brakes. So for me the current disc trucker is closer to something I might ride, but is actually still more of a truck than I'd choose for my UL style. It is probably pretty close to what I'd ride if I packed heavier. On the other hand a major portion of the touring community will hate all of this.

It seems weird that sales being good means them cutting models. It almost sounds like "we are making plenty of money so we don't need to support you niche market buyers any more". When bicycling becomes a more mainstream mass market those of us who want /need a specialized product will be left by the way side. They can say you guys supported us and made us what we are today, but please go "F" yourselves now since we are making plenty of money elsewhere. I guess business is business.