View Single Post
Old 12-03-20, 11:42 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
The 64cm LHT was made when I bought mine but I can't remember when that was exactly. 2014 - 2015 maybe?

Preferences are preferences but you're going in looks first and not really considering the functionality.

A high spacer stack is not optimal even with the sturdy steel steerer tubes Surly uses. It adds flex to the front end of the bike and that can cause issues in either
No, I am going functional. Many like to be stretched out, with the bars level or higher than the seat. With the old style LHT I can do that very nicely. No, a 90cm stem does not make the bike twitchy, I am running one at the moment and it is very stable, and handles well. As for stem flex with a high spacer stack, that is hysterical. I guess you never rode old quill stem bikes. Of course buying the right sized frame helps prevent the high spacer stack. I'm not talking about your frame choice, so don't take it personally.

With the old style frame, there is plenty of room for a frame bag while retaining easy access to large water bottles, functional.

I'm sorry you are having a difficult time understanding that some people actually liked the old style LHT frame, and prefer it to the new one. You also seem to have a difficult time understanding that many of those people, me included, also think the new frame is very nice, and is a well thought out design. The new frame just doesn't appeal to me as much as the old one, for many reasons, and function is one of the top reasons. I like the way my 56cm 26 inch wheel LHT handles, and like how stable it is. I like the fit. I like the longer chain stays. I like the room under the top tube.

So continue to debate, I will watch. But once again, I like the new frame, I just prefer the old one, for functional reasons, and am sad we lost an old style frame that worked well, and that was a great value.