Old 08-26-21, 05:09 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Wait, let me get this straight...

You know your drag coefficient down to three decimal places, for two different bikes. And you're using Garmin's consumer-level equipment and software to estimate VO2.

Then you say their algorithm is garbage. Probably right. (I wouldn't say garbage, but certainly not highly precise and reliable.)

You seem like someone who should go to a sports physiology lab and pay to have your VO2 measured accurately (FTP as well, and any other metrics they can provide).

The Garmin app is just for those of us who like to game-ify our workouts. Are you an engineer? You will be able to find faults anytime you go looking for them. You should expect to see some flaws in this data. But here's the thing: you didn't pay thousands of dollars for precisely calibrated equipment, used in a controlled environment and operated by trained professionals.
CdA measurement is free. VO2 max and CdA should not be related, they are in this instance because Garmin (FirstBeatoff) are lazy. They assume power and speed are linear. But, they cannot even get that right, a 50% increase in speed should correspond to a 50% increase in power NOT 38% as their white paper indicates. If they want to use a faulty model, at least use it correctly,

Carts cost a lot. Do you think someone my age could possibly have the VO2 max indicated by Garmin? Y

Yes, I am an engineer.

Garmin should focus on their wheelhouse. Navigation. Like get a good GPS antenna.

Their VO2 max and overall training advice sucks. Anyone with any STEM background beyond 8th grade and who reads the paper should take caution

Edit: I have paid. I know my VO2 max. So, I am not guessing here.