Old 11-14-16, 06:50 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
if you are going to all that bother, why not just get a normal lock and chain, which you are not required to bolt to the frame, which can be used for multiple bikes, and which can be left home for rides when you don't plan to stop or want to carry extra weight?

That is a fair question.

By going with a frame lock, you are always going to have to carry its weight, which in my case is about 730grams I believe.

Sometimes when I am just going to do an exercise ride, I leave my chain and U-Lock off my bike, but I still have to carry that 730grams of frame lock weight, not that I see it as a terrible imposition.

If I tried to use a "normal lock" and chain, I'm not sure how much the "normal lock" would weigh and the chain on my bike is a Loop chain and I am not sure I have seen a separate Loop chain that is as light as mine, as it is a 6mm square link chain.

Yes I have seen heavier and more secure Loop chains around, but the main benefit of my sized chain(besides lowish weight) is that I can fit it under my saddle and around the saddle rails to secure my saddle, if need be.