View Single Post
Old 12-09-20, 12:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My best single tip is get a Sigg Tourist cook kit, with or without the Svea 123. You can put the pots on any stove you like. I bought my kit new in 1966 at Sporthaus Schuster in Munich. It's still what we use for both backpacking and bike touring. It's a little bulky but if you enjoy real meals outdoors, it's the Only Thing. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=159043

For decades we used it with the Svea, though it now sits on an Optimus Nova. The polished Svea is now a decoration. The Nova is a little more versatile and very little heavier. Either stove fits inside the cook kit.

The complete set is a Svea 123, a 1.5 liter pot, a 2 liter pot, a lid which fits both pots and is also a pan, a base for the Svea, a windscreen between base and pot, pot lifters and a strap to hold it all together. The whole thing can stack to become a double boiler plus a water heating pan. Also works with a Primus No.71.

We wrote a camping cookbook for outdoor travel based on this cook kit.
I went to that Ebay link and I clicked on completed listings to see what they sold for in the past. I had no idea that my Sigg Tourist was worth that much.

The Primus 71 had a smaller diameter tank, that does not fit well in the Tourist windscreen, the Svea was held in much better with those two riveted clips but they do not grip the 71.

If you are not using the Svea, I think the MSR Alpine 2 pot kit which is stainless steel and lacks the pot supports that the Sigg has might be a better cookset than the Sigg Tourist. At least I have that preference when cooking for two or three people.

The last time I cooked on a Svea, I actually used the MSR Alpine kit even though I still have my Sigg Tourist.