View Single Post
Old 08-14-21, 10:18 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 890 Posts
Took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe and rode East on the last hot day.

Enjoyed the usual round of hill climbs and descents, interspersed with the delights of a little urban riding, which often seemed to recommend the Buddhist practices of compassion and detachment; an interaction with a wary dog with his snout poking out the window as I rode past his car on the right was a case in point. Hill climbs in the heat seemed ok as long as I paced myself, and descents seemed to go a little faster in the thin, hot air, not to mention bestowing the blessings of evaporative cooling. Topped out at 30mph, if the Pocket Devil is to be believed.

I was pleased that both the Fellsmere jets d'eau were back in operation. Simply looking at them had a cooling effect. And while the weather didn't break while I was riding, from time to time a darker cloud than usual would provide welcome shade. Nary a raindrop, however.

I paused at the Kurukulla Center coming and going. This little pilgrimage anchors the ride for me.

Shortly after the second stop at the Kurukulla Center, I realized that my front derailleur had become mis-aligned. Rather than try to fix that on the spot, I managed to get the drivetrain operating more or less happily as a 1x9, using the middle ring. This gave me reasonable gear ratios for both climbing and descending, although not as good as the extremes of the touring triple. Thus equipped, I was able to complete the last set of hills--High Street, between Medford Center and West Medford--and wrapped up the ride with greasy fingers.

I've got some wrenching in my future. Or perhaps it's time to find a good bicycle mechanic with retro-grouch tastes...

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-14-21 at 10:22 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: