View Single Post
Old 08-22-21, 02:58 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 241 Posts
Yesterday my wife and I went riding on the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail (BFRT) for the first time in awhile. We started from the parking lot at Brooks St, Acton. Initially we went as far East as we could, which is still the turnaround at Wetherbee St. I expected to see evidence of the pending continuation of the trail toward the new bridge over Route 2, but there was nothing to see but the same old weeds. From there we headed West, going as far as Grist Mill in Chelmsford Center. Total mileage just a shade over 20. It was a nice ride, albeit somewhat humid. The BFRT was about as busy on Saturday as the Minuteman on a typical weekday. The Go Outdoors exhibit is in full swing right now:

We had a pleasant lunch at Donelans afterward, sitting at one of the outdoor tables. On the drive back I made note of the fact that it is just 4.5 miles, via Lowell Rd, Barrett's Mill Rd, and Strawberry Hill Rd, from the end of the Reformatory Trail to the BFRT at Brook St. I may bike that gap on my own in the future. Maybe someday (in my lifetime?) the Reformatory will connect to the BFRT at West Concord, as the railroad used to.
Likes For bike_tom: