Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have roads near me I avoid riding on in the fall evening because they're in a direct line to sundown. I don't know about letting it "fly" as an excuse, but I really don't want to test drivers' ability to "compensate."
Marginally engaged drivers are an inescapable threat to cyclists. Joey seems to have a pressing need to point out the obvious at every possible opportunity. Whenever we take to the road we place our lives in the hands of drivers who don't exercise due care. Be it glare, sun, shadows or whatever, from an advocacy standpoint we need to rebuke those who would offer those, or any other distractions, as a reason for not seeing or not reacting to a cyclist quickly enough.

Let's say we all took Joey's position on this. His position seems to be that drivers can't see cyclists when the sun is hanging low. How long before drivers start believing cyclists "Don't belong on" the road during the morning and evening? It appears we have some among us (not implying you are one of those) whose primary advocacy message is cyclists are idiots if they ride in a direct line toward the sun. My primary message is that motorists need to use the tools at their disposal, visors, sunglasses, hats etc. to minimize the effects of glare and NEVER outdrive their line of sight. Many cyclists ride because they have to, and they don't always have the luxury of alternative routes.