View Single Post
Old 10-14-21, 03:17 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
I am enjoying this whole discussion, so thanks to everyone who has chipped in so far.

As it happens, I do have a virtually new set of 700x30 studded tires, which I have never used because my Univega has 27" wheels. I had been thinking I would buy an IG hub and spokes and build up a new rear wheel using the current and apparently indestructible Araya rims, then throw on a pair of 27" Paselas I also have on hand.

But I'm now I'm beginning to think that it would be worth going to 700 wheels so I can use the studded tires. One option, instead of building up the wheelset myself (I have built many wheels and enjoy it, within reason), would be to buy a complete wheelset with hub, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Mercier-Nexus.../dp/B07HYF2XG3

Basic made-in-China quality, probably, and so nothing to write home about, but the price is right. I have seen hubs alone advertised at about the price of both wheels, so if I need to rebuild them on different rims later I wouldn't be out of pocket by much.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 10-14-21 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For jonwvara: