Old 06-02-22, 01:36 PM
geezerwheels

Bikes: +/-2000 Alp d'Huez (Dura Ace/Ultegra) Alloy Synapse disc (Ultegra), '84 de Rosa Eddie Merckx Super Prestige (Modified with 10sp Record mechs), Carbon Synapse disc (SRAM Red), '80-something Trek 540 (7sp AccuShift), Serotta Fierte (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
advertised as a 58cm, but measures 56cm...what next?

I spent months looking at framesets on EBay. I wanted an aluminum frame that was made in the US. (call it a fetish; I can live with that). So after agonizing over vintage Treks, Lemonds, CDales, etc, I stumbled across a LiteSpeed with carbon seatstays and front forks, alumnum main frame, and some unspecified titanium parts. It was advertised as a 58cm frame--I'm 6'-1", so this is my sweet spot. I negotiated a good discount and promptly received the frameset.

Then I put it together with odds and ends, mostly Ultegra mechanicals, a new crankset, cassette and chain. Also, a featherweight pair of Stan's wheels. But as I started to set up the saddle and bars, I found that I had to install a 120mm stem and slide the saddle all the way back to replicate the geometry of my favorite bike (a Serotta Fierte). Finally it dawned on me that this was a 56cm frame.

I considered tearing it all down and returning it to the seller for a refund. But hey, it's all together now--why not take it for a ride? So I did, and then I took another ride, and it's not a horrible fit. I think going to a 140mm stem and/or longer reach bars might do the trick.

At least as far as fitting into the cockpit. But I am a little disappointed in how it handles--there's sort of a vagueness to how it steers. Of course I'm comparing it to the Serotta, which handles like a Porsche. The Serotta seems to intuit just where you're going, and takes you there with precision and confidence. If you need to make an adjustment, deep in a curve, she says, sure, no problem, let me handle it. The LiteSpeed is more like--whatever...Even so, it has a wonderful response to the pedals--absolutely no mush in the works. And as stiff as the back end is, it gives back a cushy ride.

I'm thinking that the LiteSpeed would be happier with a shorter rider. That even if I achieve a comfortable fit with this bike, it's not going to perform as well as it could for someone whose weight is distributed more at the extreme ends of the frame.

So I am throwing all this out to the collective wisdom of the Forum. What would you do with this bike?

LiteSpeed Hyperion

Last edited by geezerwheels; 06-02-22 at 01:45 PM.